Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Post without Direction (Alternate title - Where is the post?)

So, just a short gripe I've been holding for a week or so. The Sydney train fare has increased by approximately 5% and one may see not a word spoken in the news, and not an adjective printed in the press. The apathetic nature of Australian society persists. If this had happened in France, there would be a riot, walls torn down, banners harking back to the days of French Revolution, and perhaps the dropping of the name Charles De Gaulle. But in Australia, and 'she'll be alright'. I've held back thus far without expletives, so i'll end it there. Moving on now, and we're back.

Yesterday, a festive time was had by all present. Hattori Hanzo was off to the land of the saints for a month, and we found this to be a suitable enough reason to get together, and naturally invite a common friend of hours, Mr. Jug O. Beer (BSc, B.A, MBA, RSA, MB BS, FCUK). Perhaps the idea lay dormant in my subconscious, or perhaps i'm not quite ahead of the curve so much as bringing up the tail from a mental aptitude perspective, but a few points about social interaction in the 2000's came to light. In an odd subversion of the social networking phenomenon, which has obviously been widely criticised for the devaluing of 'real' human relationships among our generation, I was surprised that the trashbagging of social networking sites served as an excellent entry point for real life conversation (I was guilty of this particular brand of introductory conversation on at least 3 occasions - with 3 different people).

There's an initial irony of being disillusioned by social networking websites (SNW's) and then using it as not only an entry point but a large framework of discussion with strangers. Then theres a rollover effect where following a successful introductory conversation at the expense of SNW's, where you meet someone new, one may continue to traverse these SNW's to find flaws to again bring up in actual life conversation. Everybody wins - Zuckerman, MySpace, Murdoch, you, me and the stranger who shared my disgust of false 'friendships', who I will will get a friendship request for on facebook, and probably worse, whom I will accept. Truly, the new age of social interaction is the exchange between the physical and cyber worlds.

On a different note, I'm glad that there are 1 or 2 more people besides us contributors who are reading this blog. Although they are friends of ours, I am still glad to have a readership outside the authorship, and for further notice all ships are invited. Some members of the readership thought we were turning into a male version of the show 'Sex and the City'.

I can't say i've ever sat through a complete episode of it, but thanks to some thoroughly brilliant marketing (and marketability) even those of us not privy to lives of 4 professional female New Yorkers, are aware of the style of each character. I've certainly babbled alot just there to get to my point that I got labelled as the Samantha (who is more of a pro than a professional - wink wink) of the Six Million Rupee Men. I thank those for their opinion, however somehow I feel my reputation precedes me. It does however bring up an interesting topic for which I would like to open up a discussion forum. Perhaps, like snakes on a plane, only better, we can take contributors, put up a script (or a pilot) and do something with it - and if nothing happens, we can leave this post as a nice reminder of ideas squashed at first hurdle. So heres some questions for those who can be bothered to place their input (and for which I will be forever thankful towards) - What would a male sex and the city be like, has it been done in another form (Entourage perhaps?), character names, location? All welcome. Just don't make a group about it on facebook, we shall instead potentially brood over this with an old friend, Prof. Jug O. Beer.

No comments:

 
Custom Search